Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Electronic Leash

I come from a place that is "keitai krazy".  Keitai is the Japanese word for "portable" and a "keitai denwa" is a "portable phone".  There are three main companies that deal with them, Au, Softbank, and NTT Docomo.  Each company has its plusses and minuses, but they are definitely hinged on profit making, so the service can be quite expensive.

I loved my Japanese phone.  It was waterproof, had a tv in it, and looked pretty flashy.  I used it for what it was intended: I made phone calls.  No matter what gadget it had, when the honeymoon of a new toy was over it just went back to being a phone.

Now that I am in the US, I am seeing things just a bit different.  The phones here are lifelines if you a new in town.  I bought a blackberry and with it I can check mail, get directions, look up sports scores, see my Facebook page.  Oh yeah, I can make phone calls too.

Here is the thing.  The only phone calls I get are from work.  I don't really have enough friends here to justify it, but I still don't think I can function without it.  When did we come so attached to technology?

I rememember when I was a Marine just 10 or so years ago, cell phones were these huge contraptions that cost a ton to have.  Now I see 5 year olds talking on them.  As they become more affoardable, they bring us closer together than ever before, only we no longer have to be chained to a desk or corded to a wall.

Which brings me to my point.  Isn't there a time when you just have to be alone and happy that way?  I find myself constantly checking my mail, social networks, and for missed calls.  I am alone, but with everyone just a button away.

No comments:

Post a Comment